Friday, June 8, 2012

Style Tutorial: Curly Sue (Mini Twist Flexi Rod Roller Set)

I've been rocking mini twists for two weeks now and have kept them in a bun most of the time. Two weeks is a long time for me to wear one style, I love to switch it up every other day or so! So I decided to roller set my twists with flexi rods and without heat.

The night before I had co-washed my twists, but had kept them in a bun since then. I lightly spritzed clumps of 5 or 6 twists with water. Then I applied a dime-sized amount of Jane Carter Solution Wrap & Roll foam and wrapped each section tightly around a flexi rod. My hair was damp but not at all saturated.


I applied a scarf and let my hair set overnight. In the morning I took out the rollers. My hair was still well moisturized from being in a bun after co-washing, so I didn't feel the need to add any oil to my hands before unrolling. I will probably spritz and seal my twists tonight before bed.


I separated the twists in each clump and that was it! The takedown process took about 15 minutes total (unrolling and separating). The rolling took a little over an hour... but there was a movie and snacking involved. 8-D

YES!!! The flexi rods are uncomfortable to sleep in. I usually try to use them in the morning if I don't have to leave the house until later in the day. For those who need quicker results, you can use a hooded dryer. For touch-ups or bangs, a blow dryer with a diffuser can set the curls in as little as five minutes. Flexi rods take a while to dry so consider these guidelines when using them:
  1. Dampen, don't saturate the hair. If you just washed your hair, blot or plop it to absorb most of the water.
  2. Use small sections of hair. The less hair on the roller, the faster the dry time.
  3. A foam or mousse product is lighter than a gel or cream, and dries much quicker.
  4. Give yourself the adequate amount of time for the curls to set. If you are really in a rush, try a ventilated roller. Flexi rods make awesome long-lasting curls, but they take a while to work their magic.
  5. Clean your flexi rods after each use. Think about the product buildup your hair would have if you never cleaned it. The same applies to your hair tools. I just dump them in the sink with some warm water and a little Dr. Bronner's soap. Be sure to set them out on a towel to dry thoroughly before storing.
What are your favorite curling hair tools? Do you have a "quick set" method?

No comments:

Post a Comment