Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Wash Regimen: Version 1

I tend to switch things up frequently when it comes to hobbies, passions, penmanship and of course hair regimens. Maybe its me, but times change and the same old methods don't always cut it. Don't get me wrong, I do believe 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it.' But I've noticed my hair doesn't respond the same way to products after prolonged use. To keep my results as fresh as the first time I like to change ingredients and procedures.

Here is one method I use for washing and conditioning my hair:

I wash my hair in large twists to limit breakage, tangling and to make the process more efficient.

I allow warm water to run through the roots of my hair. Most of my products are natural and water-soluble so they rinse out easily.

I dilute the Dr. Bronner's soap before using. About 1 tbsp to 1 c of water. I sometimes enhance it with rosemary and sage essential oils and baking soda if I've used gel or pomade.

 If I have a lot of product build up, I will unravel the twists and finger comb the soap through. Then I retwist it before rinsing to limit tangles.

The rosemary and sage essential oils help stimulate circulation in the scalp and encourages growth. Take this time to give yourself a cleansing scalp massage.

After thoroughly rinsing out the soap, I apply my conditioner by unraveling each twist, finger combing the conditioner through, then retwisting before rinsing.

I think retwisting the section after working conditioner through helps the product penetrate the strands. I've noticed my hair retains greater moisture when I wash my hair in twists than when I wash it loose.

Repeat the process for all sections.

 I am very generous when applying conditioner.
For the conditioner recipe follow this link: Coconut milk & honey & avocado moisturizing protein deep conditioner

Working the conditioner through the strands.

Retwisting the section. I will leave this in my hair for at least 30 minutes at most 2 hours.
Be sure to rinse thoroughly if using my conditioner recipe. Perishable ingredients should not be left to dry in your hair. (They may start to smell.)

No comments:

Post a Comment