Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Kitchen Salon: Flaxseed Gel

Firstly I must give thanks to Naptural85 of YouTube for her Do It Yourself: Homemade Natural Hair Gel with Flaxseeds video that introduced me to this miracle concoction. I used her video as a guide but followed my own instincts with measuring and mixing oils. Here is my process:

  
Prepare a glass container (this can withstand the heat and allow you to see what you're doing) with a knee high stocking or other mesh material stretched over. Its a good idea to secure the material over the opening of the container with a rubber band or hair tie. Allow ample stocking or material inside the container.


   
Bring 1 cup of tap water to a boil. Add 1/8 cup of golden or dark brown flaxseeds to the boiling water. Stir occasionally. The mixture will gain viscosity, and become a thick mucus.


   
When mixture becomes very thick and begins to foam slightly (about 10-12 minutes) turn off heat and pour mixture (seeds and all) into your container prepared with mesh/stocking.


 
Lift the mesh/stocking and allow gel to strain into container. You may use tongs to squeeze gel through mesh/stocking (or I made "tongs" out of a pair of chopsticks).


    
As mixture cools it will thicken. Before completely cool stir in Vitamin E, flax seed oil, vegetable glycerine, 1 teaspoon of your favorite oil (olive, castor, etc.) and a few drops of your favorite essential oils for for scent and enhancements. I'll include suggestions at the bottom.

The last time I decided to reheat the flaxseeds and see if I could make more gel, and it worked. I wouldn't suggest boiling them more than that, but I got 2 servings of gel from 1/8 cup of seeds! Store your gel in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The oils will help preserve the mixture, but I suggest using it within 7-10 days though Naptural85 stores hers for longer.



The Results
My braid outs and twist out are wonderfully defined each and every time, but my hair is never hard and stays moist and defined the whole day. To refresh I spritz my hair and rebraid/twist at night. The results are just as defined the next day. The gel is extremely light, so it doesn't produce a lot of build up over time. I've slept in my curly updos with a silk bonnet and my curls were intact the next day!


Essential Oils for Enhancements
Grapefruit, Orange and Lavendar: adds shine, increase circulation and smells wonderful
Sage, Rosemary and Lavendar: increase circulation, stimulate growth, minimize dry scalp


Try out this recipe and share your tips for enhancements and variations!


~ In Hair Solidarity,


Pia

No comments:

Post a Comment